"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten" (Robert Fulghum).

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sense of Sight and the Kindergarten Band

First, I would like to say that I am sorry I was not at school yesterday and today.  I have strep throat.  I know that Mrs. Marisa did a great job while I was getting well, and I can't wait to see everyone again tomorrow!
Last week our class learned about the sense of sight.  On Thursday we read an article about the different parts of an eye and drew a diagram of an eye.  On Friday we made models of eyes using old cds (the hole in the middle was the pupil), markers to color the iris, bubble wrap for the lens, a white bowl for the retina and clear plastic wrap for the cornea.  The students should be able to tell you that we need light to see.  They should also be able to tell you that the pupil lets light into our eye, that it is really a hole, and that it can get bigger (open wide) if we are in a dark room to let light in, or get smaller (close tightly) if we are outside on a bright, sunny day.  These are the finished products:





During reading last week we read a story called Jazz Baby.  It is about children who play music.  We learned how we can use our sense of sight to see the instruments, our sense of touch to feel the instruments and our sense of hearing to listen to the different sounds.  Our class borrowed some instruments and each student had the opportunity to play each one.  Check out our awesome band:








click here to contact Mrs. Allen lnay02@hotmail.com

No comments: